Monday 10 May 2010

Waterfall

















I decided that I would use what I had learnt from when I made the pouring blood animation to make a waterfall in my assignment animation. I copied the material I used for the river and put a sphere at the end where the waterfall would be.

The domain is a cube as per usual, the cube is what you edit to make look like water. I set smooth and added sub surf, you do not need to worry about the sphere. I also made sure to put the camera in a good position and got rid of any objects that were not in the shot, to save on render times. I discovered a new window/technique which you can see in the picture, which allows you to add or remove objects from the render, this is much easier than deleting objects and means you can get them back as and when you need them.

It took me a pretty long time to get the waterfall to look decent, through trial and error of settings of the fluid and the material. Luckily it did not take too long to bake each time. I set the fluid settings of the sphere to inflow, and set Z-0.4 (gravity) and X0.2 for flow of water, I was pleased with the end result I got. It does not look overly realistic but it matches the style of the rest of my external scene.

These are the material settings for the cube/water:


















As I am limited to 30 seconds I am going to have to try and fit a lot of different animation techniques into a very small space of time. I think I have done enough with my external scene now and I should move onto to animating the internal scene. I will try some different camera movements, particle effects, and maybe see what I can do using the physics/game engine.
I also think it will be cool to add some different transitions rather than just a continuous camera fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment