Wednesday 12 May 2010

Extras

I used after effects so I could not only put my videos together but also make sure the timing of each part of the video was efficient so I could fit my animation into a 35 second video so it would meet the assignment specification.
I put the videos together cut, stretched and compressed them to make my final render.


I discovered a new technique which is using Auto IK which is found in the editing buttons for the armatures. This allows your puppet to move in a more realistic way, which I did not need for my main sequence but I used this to make an extra video.
You can also go into edit mode and select the main bones and click Co which connects the armature to a parent, this helps the right bones move when other bones do. Experimentation is the best way to find the movements you are looking for.

Unfortunately I only discovered some of the techniques for speeding up render times towards then end when my assignment was almost finished so it did not benefit me that much.
Key learning points:
  • It is best to animate using bones. (Use Auto IK and Co)
  • Make sure to use enough bones.
  • Keep vertice counts as low as possible, you can always set smooth or subsurf later.
  • Keep a standard key frame rate for all animations, you can always edit afterwards in software such as after effects.
  • Always remember to test animations.
  • Come out of edit mode before animating!
  • Keep key frames spread out.
  • Use exaggeration and preparation techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment